I uploaded a video to BookTube this afternoon in which I answered all of the following questions about The Way We Were, one of my current works in progress. When I finished filming I realized that I, like most people probably did, answered the questions with my protagonists at the forefront of my mind. “This,” I said to myself, “Is no good! The antagonists will begin to antagonize me, and soon, if I don’t fix the oversight!”
So, dear friends, I went back to tumblr and found Rachel’s (of coffeeandcalligraphy) original tag questions and created this, the flipside of my video tag: The Blog is now home to The Way We Were Character Writing Tag: Evil edition. Enjoy ;P
- A crazy hacker’s gone into your computer, and has deleted all of your music, except for one song off of your writing playlist. Which song is it? As I mentioned in the video tag (definitely check it out!) that I don’t typically make writing playlists because I writing via notebook and pen (for the most part) but for Axel Grey and the boys of The Foundation it would definitely have to be a classic hard rock song. Possibly Dirty Deeds by AC/DC or Feed My Frankenstein by Alice Cooper.
- Your protagonist and antagonist have been paired up by friends to go out to lunch together. Where do they go? If it’s Axel and one of the protagonists, they’ll be going to the most expensive restaurant you can get to within a plane ride’s distance. If it’s one of the boys being sent to do their Master’s work, they’ll be going to a mid-level diner type establishment. Why waste money on people you want to kill?
- You’re crossing a bridge when the troll living under it stops you. He demands to read a chapter from your novel, and won’t let you cross otherwise. Which chapter do you give him? Since I’m talking about the antagonists in this tag, I’ll go with chapter 2 of Part 2 for The Way We Were…which includes this excerpt:
“The Halloween Benefit next week is not merely to raise funds for our intrepid fire department.” Axel stopped circling to group and perched himself on a low garden wall, peering down at them like a benevolent bird of prey. “Those of you who have been here awhile know how hard we’ve been working toward this night. How LONG we’ve been working towards it.”
Axel paused to take a deep breath, the shake in it the only thing belying the depths of his frustrations. “Tonight’s debacle may have awoken something that will set us back and that, my friends, is unacceptable!”
He hopped down, sparks flying from feet and fingertips at his agitation.
“Those of you that haven’t been with us for very long may not realize the importance, the gravity, of this particular event.” Many of the men present had not witnessed Axel’s other persona, that of Asmodeus, before and while a few sparks could be explained away, the spikes of orange and blue-green flames streaking through the handsome man’s hair left little doubt as to his origins.
Many of them cowered and stared as they began to allow the full extents of their membership to sink in to their minds.
“Please, allow me to enlighten you.” Axel jumped back up to gracefully walk the garden wall. “I am sure you would enjoy a tale or two of prophesies, oracles, and enchantments. Unfortunately for you, this is not one of those types of tales.”
- Your friends have invited you out to a party. Surprise! All of your characters are there. Who do you choose to hang out with? The lesser of all the evils would probably be a Tier 1 or 2 Foundationer…and if I’m at a party where all of them are, it is most likely a Foundation hosted event. However, if we’re talking characters we actually get to know in the novel, the answer would probably be Pete. He’s a butthead, but he doesn’t just randomly attack people for funsies so that makes him a bit better of a choice (all things considered).
- Crap. You left your car keys in your house, and you’ve (somehow) locked yourself out. Which of your characters picks the lock for you? Everyone who makes it to Tier 3 of The Foundation is required to take a rigorous course on breaking and entering with style so that you look good but no one will ever see you so they could technically all pick the lock for me…none of them would though. They would just laugh at my attempts.
- The zombie apocalypse is happening right now. (It sucks.) Everyone is fleeing the planet, and moving to Mars. ONE of your characters can go with you. Who do you choose? HAHAHA I’m sorry, not only would none of the Tier 3s want to go with me, I wouldn’t allow them. They’re probably the reason we’re in this hot mess to begin with.
- You’ve been given the opportunity to travel to one place (town, building, landmark, country) in your book. Where do you go? As much as I dislike The Foundation, I would love to just hang out at their amazing and well-appointed headquarters. The game level alone would keep me occupied for weeks but Axel’s library is, reportedly, a two level structure with intense levels of priceless, rare, and even indie books mixed in with best sellers and educational tomes.
- You meet your main character and start a conversation with them. Problem is, you’ve only got six words or less to do so. What do you say? Most of them would get the standard “How do you really feel then?” but Axel, oh Axel…he gets the special “What’s your REAL plan?”
- Crazy acid rain is falling from the sky. Which of your characters would you use as an umbrella? Axel Grey would probably be the best umbrella. Being a demon, the acid rain probably wouldn’t actually injure him at all. However, I’m going with Collin Grey, Axel’s horrid son. He’s a sniveling idjit and it would please me greatly to allow acid rain to ravage him.
- You’re out at a restaurant with your main character, and the time has come to order dessert. What do you order for them? Something rich and decadent. When Axel Grey chooses a dessert he chooses it for its price tag and sugar levels, hopefully both are higher than a normal person could manage.